We’ve looked at both the paleo and keto diets and now you’re probably wondering which one should I follow? Does it matter?
In a nutshell the keto diet is used quite often to manage diseases, such as epilepsy. With this diet you want to force the body into a state of ketosis, which is the process of the body burning stored fat. You achieve this through fasting, reducing carbohydrates, and increasing dietary fat.
The paleo diet focuses more on eating meat. You get your energy from animal products that are high in protein and low in carbohydrates.
What are the differences between the diets?
Focus on Ketone Levels: A keto diet focus on raising your body’s ketone levels by altering your food choices so you enter ketosis. A paleo diet doesn’t pay attention to ketone levels.
Focus on food quality: A paleo diet focus strongly on choosing whole foods that are nutrient-dense, high-quality, and free from toxins. A keto diet should also include high quality food, but that isn’t the emphasis.
Amount of carbs: A keto diet has a very low carbohydrate intake. A paleo diet is certainly lower in carbs that a lot of diets, but it is still a higher carb intake than a keto diet.
Amount of fat: A keto diet puts far greater emphasis on increasing your fat intake than a paleo diet. Although you’re often encouraged to eat healthy fats on a paleo diet, it’s not typically quite as high as on a keto diet.
Do you wonder which plan you should follow? Consider some of these:
- If weight loss is what you’re looking for – Keto.
- If you have sweet cravings and want to stop – Keto.
- If you’re making the switch to healthier living – Paleo.
- If you need a diet with more flexibility – Paleo.
- If you want to increase your energy by balancing your blood sugar levels – Keto.
- If you’ve got a big project coming up and you need mental clarity and focus – Keto.
- If you’re clearing up existing health problems – Paleo.
There is also no reason you can’t combine the two and make it into something that works for you. The best diet is one you will stick to and follow. The one that makes you feel better, be healthy, and have full control of your mind, body, and soul.